Pazhankanji is a traditional Kerala breakfast recipe. Rice which is cooked in the afternoon is soaked fully in water and stored in an earthen clay pot. This covered pot with soaked rice is left overnight at regular room temperature. The rice would ferment by the next morning. Traditionally, this fermented rice it is eaten as breakfast with a side dish, raw onion or green chili. Some prefer to drain excess water and eat it with yogurt and a slight sprinkle of salt.
Pazhankanji health benefits:
○ Pazhankanji has rare B6 & B12 vitamins, which are not easily available in other food supplements.
○ This is the richest source of vitamin B12.
○ Consuming this rice helps quicker digestion and wards off ageing, bone-related ailments and muscular pains.
○ The lactic acid bacteria break down the anti-nutritional factors in rice resulting in an improved bioavailability of micro-nutrients and minerals such as iron, potassium and calcium by several thousand percentage points.
○ Fermented rice give energy, the nutrition and the cooling effect that needed for a full day of manual labour.Brown rice is the best for this as its nutrients are retained intact.
○ This rice generates and harbors trillions of beneficial bacteria that help digestion and has many disease fighting and immunity developing agents. The bacteria that grow in the intestines due to this rice safeguard the internal organs and keep them fit and ready.
American Nutrition Association has listed the following benefits if you stick to the practice of consuming such soaked rice.
• Consuming this rice as breakfast keeps the body light and also energetic.
• Beneficial bacteria get produced in abundance for the body.
• Stomach illnesses disappears when this is consumed in the morning as excessive and harmful heat retained in the body is neutralised.
• Blood pressure is normalized and hypertension subsides appreciably.
• This removes allergy induced problems and also skin-related ailments.
• It removes all types of ulcers in the body.
• Fresh infections are kept at bay due to consuming this rice.
• It helps in maintaining youthful and radiant look.
Consuming this takes away your body’s craving for tea or coffee. This is the richest source of vitamin B12 for vegans. So, do not throw away that extra rice you had cooked. It could be the healthiest breakfast you will ever have.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: