Bad breath is embarrassing and can affect your confidence level . Causes for bad breath can be different, such as odorous foods, smoking, dry mouth, medical conditions, gum disease, and sinus conditions.
Bacteria that build up on the back of your tongue or between your teeth is the primary cause for bad breath .Good oral health is essential to control bad breath. This includes regular tooth brushing, flossing and tongue scraping. After every meal , swish water around your mouth for a few seconds. This will loosen food particles stuck between your teeth and clean your mouth. Drinking adequate water is essential to keep your mouth fresh and clean.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for bad breath.
1. Fennel (Perum jeerakam)
Fennel contains antimicrobial properties that fight the bacteria in the mouth. It also acts as an excellent mouth freshener that helps control bad breath.
○ Slowly chew a tablespoon of fennel to freshen your breath and stimulate the production of saliva.
○ Steep one or two teaspoons of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes.Drink this tea two or three times a day.
2. Cinnamon (Karuvapatta)
Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, an essential oil that not only covers up bad breath, but also reduces the amount of bacteria in your mouth.
Boil one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water. Add some bay leaves and cardamom too . Strain the solution and use it as a mouth rinse to refresh your breath.
3. Fenugreek (Uluva)
Fenugreek tea is highly effective when bad breath is caused by catarrhal infections.
Boil a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Strain and drink this tea once daily until you get rid of the problem.
4. Cloves (Gramboo)
Cloves have antibacterial properties and also very helpful in getting rid of bad breath.
○ Chewing few pieces of cloves is the easiest method. This will eliminate bad breath in minutes.
○ Boil a cup of water, add one teaspoon of ground cloves and allow it to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink the tea or use it as a mouthwash twice a day.
5. Parsley (Malliyila)
Chlorophyll content in the parsley that can help to neutralize bad breath.
○ Simply chew a fresh parsley sprig to refresh your breath. You can also dip this herb in vinegar and then chew it thoroughly.
○ Make a juice of parsley leaves and sip the juice anytime you need to refresh your breath. It will also improve digestion.
6. Lemon Juice
The acidic content in lemons prevents growth of bacteria in your mouth. Also it’s strong pleasant smell helps mask the bad odor.
○ Stir one tablespoon of lemon juice into a cup of water and rinse your mouth with it. You may add a bit of salt to it and then use it.
This will help to get rid of dry mouth problem, which is one of the main reasons that contribute to bad breath.