Diarrhea occurs when the digestive system is not functioning properly, and it results in frequent loose or watery stools, three or more times a day. Viral infections, bacterial infections, consumption of contaminated food and water, anxiety, food intolerances, and intestinal diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis etc are the main causes of diarrhea.
You can treat diarrhea with a variety of natural, home remedies to fight the infection as well as provide relief from the symptoms.
Yogurt, especially the one with live bacterial cultures such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium, helps to restore the ‘good’ bacteria in your intestine and destroy the ‘bad’ bacteria causing the diarrhea.
Just two bowls of yogurt a day can produce noticeable relief. Add or eat a banana with your yogurt for added benefits.
Ginger is used in the treatment of food poisoning and can also help get rid of cramps and abdominal pain.
○ Grate a small piece of ginger and add one teaspoon of honey. Eat the mixture to promote the release of gastric juices and improve digestion. Do not drink water immediately after eating it.
○ You can also drink ginger tea two to three times a day to cure diarrhea. Boil one glass of water with slices of ginger, strain it and add some honey before drinking it. If fresh ginger is not available, you can use powdered ginger from your spice rack.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
Due to the mucilage content, Fenugreek seeds are highly recommended for treating diarrhea. It provides a strong antidiarrheal effect.
○ Chew one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds along with one tablespoon of yogurt.
○ You also can combine one-half teaspoon each of roasted fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds, add two tablespoons of yogurt and mix it well. Consume this mixture three times a day for quick relief from diarrhea.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar acts as an effective agent against bacteria that cause diarrhea.
Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.Drink the solution once or twice a day until your diarrhea subsides.
Banana is recommended to eat ripe because of their high pectin content. It is a water-soluble fiber that helps reduce diarrhea. Bananas are also high in potassium, an electrolyte that supports a number of vital functions in the body. Eat a few ripe bananas a day until your diarrhea subsides.
6. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile has antispasmodic properties that can provide relief from abdominal pains accompanying stomach disorders including diarrhea. It also is helpful in reducing intestinal inflammation.
○ Make chamomile tea by steeping one teaspoon of chamomile flowers and one teaspoon of peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes.Strain it and drink the tea a few times a day.
○ You can also drink green tea to help your digestive system function properly.
7. Avoid Dairy products
Dairy food products such as milk, butter and cheese may have to be avoided during the onset of diarrhea because they might further aggravate the condition. Intake of dairy products can start again after the stomach has settled down and problems with diarrhea have already disappeared. condition.
○ Milk and milk products are contraindicated in people who are suffering from lactose intolerance.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: