Even though you’re around human bodies all day (after all, you have one of your very own), you probably don’t know everything there is to know about them. Each of our bodies are a miracle; it’s amazing they work the way they do, day in and day out. If you thought what our bodies could do before, once you read this list of insane facts about the human body, you’ll be in awe. Never take your own body for granted, because some of the things it can do are mind-blowing.
1. The average person produces enough saliva in their lifetime to fill 2 swimming pools.
2. Every 60 seconds, your red blood cells do a complete circuit of your body.
3. Sometimes, when you have to pee, you can visibly see that your bladder is bigger.
4. Most babies are born with blue eyes; exposure to UV light brings out their true color.
5. Most westerners consume 50 tons of food and 50,000 liters of liquid in their lifetime.
6. It can take your finger and toenails 1/2 a year to grow an entirely new nail (from base to tip).
7. The muscles that control your eyes contract about 100,000 times a day (that’s the equivalent of giving your legs a workout by walking 50 miles).
8. Over the course of your lifetime, you’ll shed about 40 lbs of skin.
9. Your brain uses about 20% of your oxygen and caloric intake.
10. In each kidney, there are 1 million filters that clean around 1.3 liters of blood every minute and push out close to 1.5 liters of urine every day.
11. Ovaries contain over 500,000 eggs, but only about 400 get the opportunity to create life.
12. Everyone has a completely unique smell (except for twins).