Hummus is a delicious, healthy dip from the mediterranean cuisine. It is a popular middle eastern dip made from cooked, mashed chickpeas. Here is the recipe to make hummus at home!
○ 1 and half cup chickpeas, soaked in water for 8-9 hours and then cooked till soft
○ ½ cup olive oil… add more if required
○ 2-3 garlic
○ 1 tbsp lemon juice
○ ½ tsp red chili powder or cayenne pepper
○ ½ tsp black pepper powder
○ 1 tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
○ ½ cup roasted and powdered white sesame seeds or ½ cup tahini
○ a few sprigs of parsley or coriander/cilantro
○ salt as required
Tip for extra smooth hummus (if you have time): Peel the membranes off of the chickpeas before puréeing in the food processor.
1. Wash chickpeas and soak for 6 hours.Add in a pressure cooker a tsp of salt,some drops of oil and soaked chickpeas along with enough water and cook for two whistles in medium heat.Let the pressure settle on its own.
2. Check for doneness of the beans.Drain it and reserve the stock.
3. In a blender,add the boiled chickpeas,garlic and a little amount of the reserved stock.Grind it to a paste.If it gets struck in between gradually add little stock water and grind.
4. Donot add salt as we have cooked the beans with salt and the stock also has enough salt.
5. Add lemon juice and tahini paste.Grind it again.
6. Add olive oil finally and grind once.
7. While serving scoop the hummus in a serving plate and with the back of a spoon make some intendations.Drizzle olive oil over it.
8. Sprinkle some chilli powder and cumin powder.
9. Serve with your favourite bread.
Source Credits: vegrecipesofindia.com, shershamskitchen.com