Canker sores are small red bumps with yellow and white centers that can form inside the mouth, lips, cheeks, throat, and on the tongue.Although they are often small in size, they can be extremely painful.
There are many more simple home treatments to ease the pain and irritation associated with canker sores and promote faster healing.
Honey is an extremely soothing substance that can help relieve the pain and inflammation caused by canker sores. Also, you can combine it with turmeric as it has antiseptic properties.
○ Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and one quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply this paste to affected area and leave for 15-20 minutes.
○ You can also apply a teaspoon of honey all around the affected area to ease pain and inflammation associated with canker sores.
Coriander has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antifungal properties that can effectively alleviate symptoms of canker sores.
Boil one teaspoon of coriander seeds or leaves in a cup of water. Strain the solution and then use it to rinse your mouth, three or four times a day.
3. Moist Tea Bag
Tannic acid, content of used tea bag is a kind of astringent that helps reduce pain and inflammation and speeds up the healing process.
After making a cup of tea, put the wet tea bag in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
Press the chilled, wet tea bag gently over the canker sore for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Do this two or three times a day until the canker sore is gone.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties along with many curative powers, including antibacterial properties.
○ Extract the juice from the meaty portion of an aloe vera leaf and apply it directly over the canker sore. Do this several times a day.
○ You can also rinse your mouth with fresh aloe vera juice three or four times a day. If fresh aloe vera juice is not available, you can use the packaged version readily available in the market.
5. Coconut Oil
Anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial property of coconut oil will help to soothen and heal your sore. Using clean hands or a cotton swab, dab a liberal amount of coconut oil onto the sore.
Yogurt is made from fermented milk-delicious. It is produced by bacterial fermentation, that is, using bacteria or yeast to convert carbohydrates into organic acids. It’s a simple healthy remedy that may help because it balances out bacteria in your mouth which, if it was out of balance, may contribute to or cause a canker sore.
Eat at the very minimum 1 tablespoon 3 times daily. I usually eat around a cup and add a little bit of raw honey for taste and an extra healing boost!
7. Warm Salt Water
If you have a canker sore that is really puffed up that keeps rubbing or that you keep biting, gargling with salt water can help greatly.The warm water also produces a general sense of soothing relief, while the salt may help keep the area clean.
You will need1/4 cup of warm salt water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir the salt into the warm water and swish it around in your mouth 3 times daily until the canker sore is gone.
Things to remember:
○ Try to avoid acidic foods when you have a canker sore, as they can prolong healing. Acidic foods may trigger their sores.
○ If you are getting the sore very frequently and not completely healing, consult your doctor for management.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: