Here is the legendary recipe that allows you to cook delicious chicken. The recipe certainly tastes like KFC.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Soaking time: 20-30 minutes
Frying time: 15-18 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1/3 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons ground white pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 chicken, cut up, the breast pieces cut in half for more even frying
- Expeller-pressed canola oil
○ Mix the flour and all of the spices in a cup.
○ Take another cup and mix the egg with the low-fat cream. Soak the chicken pieces in the mixture of cream and egg at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
○ Take the chicken pieces out of the cream, and wait until the excess drips off. Dip the chicken pieces into the mixture of flour and spices until the pieces are covered. Shake off the excess. Put the chicken pieces on a rack, and leave for 20 minutes.
○ While you are waiting for the chicken to be ready for frying, pour 7-8 cm of oil into a pot with thick high sides (or you can use a Dutch oven), and heat over medium-high heat to 175°C (347°F). Use a kitchen thermometer to monitor the temperature. When it reaches 175°C, reduce the heat to medium. Fry 3-4 chicken pieces until they have a golden brown crust (15-18 minutes), turning them over just once. Lay the cooked chicken on a plate covered with paper towels.
Source Credit: www.chicagotribune.com