Panikoorkka (coleus amboinicus) is very common in most homes in the South India. Panikoorka is an Ayurvedic herb, the leaves are used for treating common cold, cough and fever in babies and adults. It is a natural anti-pyretic and is most effective in children.
Some of the health effects of Panikoorkka.
1. Very effective home remedy for cold, fever and cough in children
Leaves of panikoorka is squeezed and the juice is taken. A teaspoonful of Panikoorka juice when given to babies would cure their cough, cold, fever, sore throat, nasal congestion and chest congestion.
2. Natural expectorant for children
Panikoorka is very effective for cough and chest congestion . Boil the leaves of panikoorka for 5 mins in 1 cup of water. When cool feed 2 tspn of this decoction to children for curing their cough, and bronchitis. It is an effective natural remedy for excess phlegm.
3. Natural and instant First aid support
Applying the extract of panikoorka leaves on the area relieves itching, infection, insect bites and wounds . It is also used in the treatment of skin disorders, dandruff and different types of allergies.
4. Improves milk production
Panikoorka helps improve lactation in nursing mothers. The health benefits will be transferred to the child through milk.
Other methods of consumption
Panikoorkka can be consumed in different ways to minimize the bitter taste and strong odor.
The juice is extracted from leaves by placing them on a hot tava. The leaves will become transparent when hot. Remove from the tava and squeeze them with your fingers. In case of grown up you can directly squeeze the washed leaves with your fingers to collect juice.
○ Two three drops of panikoorka leaves juice would treat chest congestion, cough, and cold in infants.
○ Two three drops of the juice when applied on head, would prevent cough and cold in children and adults.
○ Panikoorka leaves extract can be mixed with honey and applied on mother’s breast so that infant will suck it when they drink milk. You can also apply panikoorka leaves on child’s lips.
○ Panikoorka leaves extract can be mixed with powdered organic rock sugar (Kalkandam) and given to toddlers for throat infection, cough and cold.
○ When children complain of stomach pains, problem of worms, you can give Panikoorka leaves extract mixed with sugar three times a day.
○ Inhaling vapors with panikoorka leaves extract would cure cold and fever.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: